Friday, March 1, 2013

Sunburst --- WIP

This small quilt is for the Quilt Alliance Twenty contest.   It is their 7th annual quilt contest.  This year in honor of their 20th Anniversary they chose a broad theme that celebrates TWENTY: the numeral, the concept, the quantity, the word.
I started by looking through my quilt books and found this one called Golden Splendor in Barbara Brackman’s Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns. 

I drafted the above pattern out on freezer paper with 20 triangles in the circle area and minus the feathers on the outer star points.  I wasn’t happy with the outer 8 points and changed them to 20 points.  So my pattern now had 20 inner points/rays and 20 outer points/rays.  Over the next week I played with laying out fabrics trying to decide on the color palette.

I carefully numbered each piece prior to cutting them out.  This small quilt I hand pieced to try to make sure the points were as sharp as possible.

Here is the hand-pieced quilt top.  I plan to machine quilt it.

3 comments:

gina said...

Wow! Gorgeous!

StorytellERdoc said...

Ramona!
How great to catch up on your site. I especially have to tell you how darn impressed I was to read bongi's post about your surgical caps and the importance it played in one of his critically ill patients. Finally, don't think I haven't noticed the "d" at the end of Suture...what do you miss the most from the old days? Congrats to you and I'll bet you are truly missed by your patients!
Jim

rlbates said...

Thanks, StoryTellERDoc. I miss the OR, the surgeries, the patients, and my co-workers. Love my new co-workers though. :)