The research has also found that in order to achieve their ideal body weight and shape:
- 16% would trade 1 year of their life
- 10% would trade 2-5 years of their life
- 2% would trade 6-10 years of their life
- 1% would trade 21 years or more of their life
- £5000 from their annual salary (13%)
- A promotion at work (8%)
- Achieving a first class honors degree (6%)
- Spending time with their partner (9%)
- Spending time with their family (7%)
- Spending time with their friends (9%)
- Their health (7%)
- 46% of the women surveyed have been ridiculed or bullied because of their appearance.
- 39% of the women surveyed reported that if money wasn’t a concern they would have cosmetic surgery to alter their appearance. Of the 39% who said they would have cosmetic surgery, 76% desired multiple surgical procedures. 5% of the women surveyed have already had cosmetic surgery to alter their appearance.
- 79% of the women surveyed reported that they would like to lose weight, despite the fact that the majority of the women sampled (78.37%) were actually within the underweight or ‘normal’ weight ranges. Only 3% said that they would like to gain weight.
- 93% of the women surveyed reported that they had had negative thoughts about their appearance during the past week. 31% had negative thoughts several times a day
Steriod Use in Girls (February 21, 2008)
Get Girls to Focus on Skin’s Appearance (May 19, 2010)
Maternal Influence (January 3, 2011)