Thursday, September 2, 2010

Time for Teal Toes (Again)

 Updated 3/2017 -- all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active.

Last year I learned of and took part in the campaign “Teal Toes.”  It is a way to bring awareness to Ovarian Cancer.  I have had two friends die of ovarian cancer – a nurse friend Lisette  and medical school classmate Yoland Condrey-Tinker.  
Both would have loved  the “Teal Toes” campaign  (photo credit)
The month of September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month and to help bring attention to the fifth leading cause of cancer death in women, an organization called Teal Toes is asking women to wear teal polish on their piggies in September (and anytime, really!) to prompt conversations about ovarian cancer with other people who might see the color and compliment or question it.

This is a photo of my teal toes  (link no longer active -- removed 3/2017) from last year, but I promise you have have used the polish I bought last year at Wal-Mart again.   It is Nicole “Respect the World Nail” Lacquer by OPI. 

The Gynecologic Cancer Foundation, the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists and the American Cancer Society, with significant support from the Alliance formed a consensus statement on ovarian cancer. The Ovarian Cancer National Alliance has endorsed the consensus statement, which was announced in June 2007. The statement follows.
Historically ovarian cancer was called the “silent killer” because symptoms were not thought to develop until the chance of cure was poor. However, recent studies have shown this term is untrue and that the following symptoms are much more likely to occur in women with ovarian cancer than women in the general population. These symptoms include:
Bloating
Pelvic or abdominal pain
Difficulty eating or feeling full quickly
Urinary symptoms (urgency or frequency)
Women with ovarian cancer report that symptoms are persistent and represent a change from normal for their bodies. …... Early stage diagnosis is associated with an improved prognosis.
Please visit OCNA for more information.
 
You might also like:

For Lisette (& Yoland) -- Hope Hike 2009
My Friend Lisette
October – Breast Cancer Awareness Month

3 comments:

Chrysalis said...

I actually like the color you chose. Good cause.

Teal Toes said...

Yay! Thanks! For Teal Toes symptom cards, go to www.TealToes.org/contact!

SeaSpray said...

I never heard of this but think it's a wonderful idea!

That is one of my favorite colors, but have never gone for the blues on my nails.

I guess I am just so used to pinks,mauve, plums or red.

I can appreciate it being a conversation starter.

I also did not know there were earlier warning symptoms.

I do know of an elderly woman diagnosed with it and told to get things in order and her daughter gave her fresh juiced vegetables and fruits several times a day and attributes her being alive several yrs later to her getting all that nutrition.

I don't know if that was it ..but happy for them and sure couldn't hurt.

Your nails look pretty. :)