Friday, September 17, 2010

Scrappy Nine Patch

This nine-patch quilt began as a way to use up some of the leftover 2.5 in squares.  I gathered together the browns and tans.  I had enough of a unifying cream-colored fabric to use in the nine-patches and the “solid” connecting 6 in squares. 

The quilt is machine pieced and quilted.  I mailed it to a blog friend whom I think will enjoy it.

The top thread is a lovely yellow-gold color.
I used a brown in place of the cream fabric to create a border.
The back is a bone color.  Here you can see the quilting.

9 comments:

Jabulani said...

Beautiful. Earthy tones are a favourite of mine - something so peaceful and comforting about them :)

Anonymous said...

Very interesting patterning :)

StitchinByTheLake said...

Nice quilt - I really like the quilting you did. blessings, marlene

Maryjonono said...

Understated and elegant. Did you do the quilting yourself? All of that machine quilting takes a lot of upper body strength. I get really sore moving the quilt sandwich around. Lovely work.

rlbates said...

Thanks everyone. Mary Jo, yes, I did the machine quilting myself on my regular sewing machine. The upper body strength/muscle aches is why I tend to keep my quilts smaller than 50 in X 70 in these days. :)

Jean said...

really lovely quilt!

Chrysalis said...

Hey! You took my post! I was going to share, and tie it into the benefits of friendship.

These pictures are beautiful, but they just don't do it justice.

SeaSpray said...

Just beautiful! A perfect gift that will become a family heirloom.

I always look forward to seeing the things you create. :)

I've been meaning to ask and then forget ..but and I don't know if it's true ..I've heard that playing video games helps to keep surgeons nimble in surgery. Could the same be said for all your sewing Ramona? Does your hobby help you in being all the more proficient in the OR. Practice makes perfect?

rlbates said...

CA, looking forward to your post. :)

Seaspray, I'd like to think so but I don't know that for sure. :)