Welcome to Grand Rounds Vol. 5 No. 44. A Grand Rounds full of plot twists, drama, melodrama and yes, death (this is a medical blog roundup after all).Just for fun, I am going to group the submissions under acts whose real names you’ll have to guess (pick from: The Hunt Is Afoot, The Law Gets Involved, Death Arrives, Clues Are Discovered, The Plot Thickens, and All Is Revealed).Suggestions/nominations for the acts’ titles can go in the comments and the people who get the closest to the right answers can wear their imaginary Sherlock Holmes deerstalkers with pride. The rest of us can instead wear our Doctor Watson designation (also with pride).
- Congressman Paul Ryan’s Speech To Medical Bloggers At The National Press Club (Better Health)
- KevinMD Addresses Crowd At National Press Club About Primary Care Crisis (by KevinMD)
- My Comments At the National Press Club, Washington DC (by Dr Wes)
- Washington Wrap-Up (by Dr Wes)
- Someone Who Actually Knows How to Put Patients First (by DrRich)
- Washing Tons for Boggers (by Dr Rob)
- Patients First: Twitter Transcript (by Robin)
- Better Health in D.C.: the Panel, the Politics and the Ce-Ment Pond (by Kim)
- Reflections on health-care reform (by Dr Edwin Leap)
In the video below, 3 brave (a.k.a. crazy) volunteers get an IO drilled into their proximal tibia. Apparently, the insertion is only mildly painful and the infusion of fluids is actually the more painful part of the procedure. You might consider priming the IV tubing with 1% lidocaine to minimize pain in awake patients.