Friday, June 6, 2008

Snail's Trail Quilt

This quilt pattern is different from the previous snail's trail quilt I made. This quilt is for a friend. I picked out the colors with "I like earth colors" in mind. So in my mind the browns are obviously for the earth. The green for the grasses and trees of the earth. The blues for the rivers, lakes, and oceans. The reds/pink for the sunrises and sunsets.I debated with myself on which layout I liked best. Each block is 5 in square (finished, 5.5 in with seam allowances).

Here is the finished quilt. It is 40 in X 50 in. Each of the arc pieces are machine pieced and then hand appliqued to a square. The squares were then machine pieced. The machine quilting is overlapping circles in a variegated brown.


Here is a closer shot. I mailed the quilt earlier this week.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's beautiful. Like I've said before, you are talented!

rlbates said...

Thank you, Noble.

Dragonfly said...

That is beautiful! Clearly you are skilling in many types of suturing.

rlbates said...

Thanks, Dragonfly!

mark's tails said...

Another beauty!

rlbates said...

Thanks, Mark.

Unknown said...

I love your quilts. To me as a novice quilter, they are really inspiring!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I made a snail's trail several years ago and it's still one of my favorite quilts. I just found your blog today - I live in Hot Springs so we're neighbors. I'll be visiting you again. :) Blessings, marlene

rlbates said...

Thanks, Stitchin. I've added you to my sidebar so I can visit you now and then.

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

Very pretty quilt! I found your blog while looking for a pattern of a Snail's Trail quilt. Now I need to hang around and look some more! Lots to see... and since I am also in the medical profession - Diplomat Specialty Pharmacy in Michigan - your medical sites will be interesting as well!