Saturday, January 5, 2008

Bow Tie Quilt

This is a quilt I made from my friend Verne McConnell's bow ties. Usually bow tie quilt blocks are pieced, but I took advantage of the bow tie's shape and appliqued the ties onto a fabric block. The alternating "dark" blocks are from wool blend suiting fabric.
If you look at the basic form of a bow tie, you can see that a "tie" of the one end can be formed and then a short piece of the straight back band can be used to cross the center of the "tie". This makes it look "tied" rather than just a piece of fabric appliqued onto another piece of fabric. Then the remainder of the straight pieces can be used to make the accent stripe around the quilt.






6 comments:

Dreaming again said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

rlbates said...

Thank you.

jmb said...

What a really neat idea R, and what a lot of work, all that applique.

rlbates said...

Thanks JMB.

NUSLP said...

Thanks for the idea. I am making a bow tie/tie the knot quilt for my aunt's upcoming wedding and I was searching the internet for ideas. This pattern allows me to use a variety of colors.

Thanks!
Rhiannon

rlbates said...

You are welcome. Would love to see yours when you are finished with it.