Sunday, August 19, 2007

Baby Quilt

Here is a baby quilt I finished recently using scraps and "orphan" blocks/squares left over from other quilts. It is for one of the CRNA's whom I work with at Little Rock Surgery Center. This is her first baby. I start with the quilt backing and the batting. Then I use the techniques of crazy quilting. I think of the entire baby quilt as "one block". The quilt is "semi-quilted" as I piece it. Afterwards, I use the fancy stitches on my Janome machine to embellish the quilt. Then I do the quilting as though it hadn't been partially quilted (clamshell, baptist fan, etc). Then I do the binding on. I either put a label on the back or use the sewing machine to "write" my name and date on the quilt. The quilt is 40" X 51" so will be nice for naps when the child is a toddler. The photo on the right is of the full quilt. The photo on the left is a section near the quilt center.


4 comments:

Chrysalis said...

That's beautiful.

Quilting is one of the things I've never learned to do. I can only crochet one blanket pattern at this point. I'll have to look at that site again you linked to.

Dr. Smak said...

I've never seen a baby quilt done as a crazy quilt - what fun fabrics you chose!

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

Wow, that's a great quilt, baby or whoever gets it.

rlbates said...

Thanks to you all.