Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A Bear Hug


Updated 3/2017-- all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active.

I named this quilt "A Bear Hug" because of the fabric and the sentiment. It is being given to a young man who has bone cancer, osteosarcoma. He has gone through most of his treatments for the cancer (surgery, chemotherapy, etc) and recently has been dealing with the after effects (an infection in his new knee joint, scar tissue in the joint, etc). He is not one of my patients, nor do I know him personally. I know of him. Still I hope this quilt (54" X 72") helps "warm" him and in some small measure helps him get through it all.
For more information on osteosarcoma see:
E-Medicine Article on osteosarcoma


2 comments:

denverdoc said...

That 'mossy oak' patterned material is intriguing. Where did you get that? How long does it take for you to make one of these spectacular quilts?

Judy

rlbates said...

Judy,
Thanks for the compliment. The mossy oak is actually a flannel fabric. I tried to find a thick chambray, but couldn't. This quilt is "reversible"--the same on the back and front. It can take me anywhere from 2-3 wks to nearly a year to make a quilt. All depends on the pattern and whether I hand or machine sewed/quilted it.