Sunday, May 27, 2007

Fabric Pieces

Updated 3/2017-- all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active.

I spent the last few days piecing this quilt top (50" X 70") which will be sent to someone who will do the actual quilting (putting the layers together--top, batting, and backing). The finished quilt will then be sent to a wounded soldier. This is done through a group called Quilts of Valor Foundation. The organization was begun by a nurse, Catherine Roberts, in Delaware. My sister-in-law (who is married to my husband's brother, an army Chaplain) told me about the group. It gave me a place to send my pieced tops (having made all the nieces and nephews a quilt each). The group is non-political. We don't take sides as to whether we should be in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. We simply try to provide some comfort to the wounded soldier and his/her family. I thought this might be a nice way to spent Memorial Day, thinking about our soldiers. My father and older brother were both in the military when they died (both of motor vehicle accidents, not war). I have no immediate family member (other than my brother-in-law, Bart Herndon) who is involved in the military at this time. I am thankful that he is safely on American soil. He spent a year in Iraq and has been state-side now for a couple of years.

This quilt top used a variation of the pattern called Rail Fence. I use five "planks" rather than just three. For the above quilt top (50" X 70") each "plank" is 2" X 10" (without seam allowances). I like how quickly it goes together. I like the zig-zag design that forms. It works well with both planned colors or with scraps. Just be sure to have a good light to dark transition. I have done several with this design.
  • Simply said--I am for piece (peace).

No comments: