Friday, July 12, 2013

Memory Lane Quilt–WIP

A couple of weeks ago my friend and medical school classmate @organicgreendoc asked me to make a quilt for a silent auction.  He has early Alzheimer’s. 
The request included the following specifications:  purple color and forget-me-knots  as the official color and flower of the Alzheimer’s Association, lap-size.  The auction is the first week of September so it’s needed by mid-August to have time to advertise it.
I fortunately had just finished a baby quilt (will show it next week) and was just beginning to work on a new one for a niece who is due in the fall.  I put it aside, pulled out my quilt books looking for a pattern that would be interesting but piece quickly.  I settled on a pattern called country lanes from my book Mountain Mist Quilt Favorites, page 121.
The next day I made a trip to a local fabric shop, purchased the fabric, washed/dried/ironed the fabric and then began cutting out the pieces. Over the last few weeks I have managed to piece it, marked, and quilted (as my right neck/trapezius would attest) quite a bit.  I found two patterns for appliqued forget-me-knots.  I will be adding them when all the quilting is done.

As with the block pattern, I tried to pick one that would be interesting but go quickly.  The solid blocks have hearts and tulips.  The pieced blocks are cross-hatched.  In the language of flowers, both forget-me-knots and tulips convey love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a very generous gift to a very generous friend...a lovely reminder of all the ways we can keep giving doing what we love to do! Thanks for sharing.
Lynn in CA inspired