Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Shout Outs

Updated 3/2017 -- photos and all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active. 

Steve, Adventures of a Funky Heart, is the host for this week’s Grand Rounds.   It’s the “heart edition” edition.  You can read this week’s edition here.
Welcome to the Funky Heart edition of Grand Rounds, featuring the latest and greatest medical writing! For those of you visiting for the first time, Adventures of a Funky Heart! is written by Steve, a 43-year-old living with a Congenital Heart Defect (CHD). (My specific defect is Tricuspid Atresia) In the United States, an average of 1 person out of every 125 is born with a heart defect – almost 2 million of us at last count! Once considered just a childhood disease, thanks to medical advances and better surgical procedures over 90% of CHD patients can now live to adulthood! For the first time in history, over half of all CHD Survivors are adults!
……………………………………….
Katie, NursesNetwork.com, is the host of the latest edition of Change of Shift (Vol 4, No 25) !   You can find the schedule and the COS archives at Emergiblog. (photo credit)
I joined a book club several years ago.  I have read books I normally wouldn’t choose and always enjoy them.  At a local restaurant I frequent I always order the daily special.  It has forced me to try different and tasty fare. I also have teenagers.  I never make a big decision without talking to them.  They bring a unique and fresh perspective that would not occur to me.
I am thrilled to be hosting Change of Shift.  While I do not always share the opinion of my colleagues, I learn so much and am challenged to view my profession in a new and different light………….
……………………………………
I’m a huge fan of NPR and for different reasons found these stories from last week of great interest:
Add It Up: Pricing Out A Visit To TV's 'Dr. House'  (interest due to my being in the medical community)
Gregory House (Hugh Laurie) is rude, inconsiderate and doesn't like playing by the rules — but, man, is he a good doctor. ……..How much money would it cost to diagnose the patient in the "Ignorance Is Bliss" episode of House?………
That leaves our poor patient with a total medical bill of at least $298,200………….
Dealing with a Parent's Early Death  (interest is due to having lost my dad when I was eight)
The death of a parent can leave emotional scars on a child that last for decades. One in nine American's have been through this type of loss before the age of 20. Helping children cope with the loss of a parent and dealing with childhood bereavement as an adult………
There was also an interesting WSJ article by Jeffrey Zaslow relating to early loss of a parent:  Families With a Missing Piece
For adults who were children when their parents died, the question is hypothetical but heartbreaking: 
"Would you give up a year of your life to have one more day with your late mother or father?"
One in nine Americans lost a parent before they were 20 years old, and for many of them, this sort of question has been in their heads ever since. …….
…………………………………….
On a lighter note, these two companion tweets from Geek2Nurse of a patient’s rap made me smile:
(Actual) psych patient rap, verse 1: "I'm not manic, I'm not psychotic. I'm not schizophrenic, And I'm not neurotic..." (cont. next tweet)
(Cont.) Psych patient rap, verse 2: "It ain't the hip-hop, It ain't rock & roll; I just gotta get myself some weed, To neutralize my soul."
……………………………………….
The Alliance for American Quilts received 115 quilts for it’s “New from Old Quilt Contest Contest.”  You can see all the quilts here.  My entry is “Label Me.”

…………………………………..

Dr Anonymous’ BTR show guest this week will be Family Physician Dr. Kim Yu. The show begins at 9 pm ET.

Upcoming shows (9pm ET)
6/24: Dr. Bryan Vartabedian, 33 Charts
Jul-Aug: Summer Break
8/26: Dr. A Show 3rd Anniversary

No comments: