Monday, April 7, 2008

University of Arkansas Physics Centennial

 Updated 3/2017-- all links removed as many no longer active.


I am back from attending the UA Physics Centennial. It was wonderful. Everyone was so happy to be back, telling stories of their time at UA and their lives since. Many have remained in physics --research, teaching, industry. Many others are doctors, lawyers, even a wine maker.

The lecture given by Dr. Wolfgang Ketterle was clear and easy to follow. The title of the lecture is "New Forms of Quantum Matter Near Absolute Zero temperature". It was nice to see children and teens there along with the rest of us.

Part of the celebration was the unveiling of a George Rhoads' audiokinetic sculpture that is now in the entry way of the Physics Building. I wish I could share the actual motion with you, but here is a picture of it.



This photo is of all the past and present professors who were there. I know I can't get them all in order. The one in the blue/red coat in front is Dr. Raymond Hughes. The one just to the left is Dr Rajendra Gupta. The one in the center, brown leather coat is Ken Vickers (microEP program director). Just to the right is Dr Otto (Bud) Zinke. The one with the red shirt is Dr Steven Day. Just behind him and to the left is Dr Greg Salamo.

This photo is of Dr Richard Anderson
and his students who attended.


While I was gone, Arkansas had 6 tornados (gallary of photos) come through the state. Several did damage near my home. I am fortunate that I was able to return to a house that was not harmed by the storms, neighbors who checked on things for me, a dog who was glad for me to pick him up from the vets', and sunshine. My husband is currently working out-of-town so wasn't there to greet me. Still it was a nice to be home.

If you are interested in the history of Physics you can read Physics at Arkansas by Paul Sharrah by linking here.

No comments: