Friday, February 17, 2012

Hawaiian Quilt for a Friend

Years ago a friend asked me to make a quilt for his wife for their anniversary.  He wanted a queen size.  She like frogs and tropical stuff.  I took on the ambitious project of a Hawaiian appliqué quilt using fabric with frogs, parrots, lizards, etc for the center.  The entire appliqué was done by hand and took me almost 6 months.  I then had my friend Scottie Brooks to do the hand quilting.  I regret that I didn’t get a photo of the finished quilt.  This photo is of the finished top.  The quit was finished in November 2001 (quilted and bound).  It measures 104 in square.

I cropped the above photo to try to show more of the detail, but these photos do not do it justice.  And while I am still friends with the husband, he and she are no longer together, so I can’t get new and better photos. 

2 comments:

SeaSpray said...

Oh Ramona - It's beautiful! I just wish I could see it from directly overhead. looks like so much work and obviously a lot of love went into it.

Chrysalis said...

Very cool, Ramona! I bet she was thrilled!