Monday, October 24, 2011

Learning, Part Two

Updated 3/2017 -- photos and all links removed as many no longer active. 

I have now completed three weeks at my new job with the Disability Determination Services office.  I sort of knew there were two types of disability payments under SSI:  Title II and Title XVI.  Now I understand the differences much clearer.
I would urge everyone who can afford it to purchase disability insurance.  As the person training me put it, “If you are disabled, you are still ‘costing’ your family in addition to not contributing to the family income.”
The big difference between the two (II and XVI) is that anyone who has worked and paid taxes has in effect purchased disability insurance (Title II – DIB).  Title II is not based on your I & R (income and resources) as you are insured.  Title XVI individuals are the truly poor who must meet an I& R test. 
Both Title II and Title XVI must the SSI definition of a disability to be eligible:  The individual must not be able to perform substantial gainful activity (SGA) due to a medically determinable impair (MDI) which can be substantiated by a medical consultant backed up by significant signs, symptoms, and laboratory data.  The MDI had to be one which is expected to result in death or which has lasted or will last 12 months.
The person training me is blind (due to RP).  Note he does not meet the able definition as he is working.  He is an amazing person who was a pediatrician prior to taking a job with DDS as his sight began to go.  He uses a program called JAWS to read to him at work, but types faster than I do.  He has the listings memorized.

1 comment:

Kathy Garolsky said...

Good post here.Thanks for sharing this info.